Stressing is a part of life, but it can be a dangerous thing to do. When you stress too much or get too overwhelmed, then you start not wanting to do anything. Here are 12 tips or things you can do that will hopefully help you stress less:
Call up a friend and catch up
- Take a little break and call up a friend. Call a friend who you don’t see everyday and don’t get the chance to talk to every single day. Catch up with them. Talk about things that have happened since the last time you guys talked. Laugh and have a good time talking to an old friend. This will relieve your stress and help you feel so much more refreshed that after you get off the phone, you will be ready to get homework or whatever you need to get done, done.
Walk wherever you can or go to they gym
- Walking and exercise is a great way to relieve stress. Whenever you can go to they gym at least a couple times a week or walk wherever you can. It will help you feel a lot better and also, it gets you in shape. By doing this, you help your body, mind and soul in more ways than one. I try and go to the gym at least once a day, and I try and walk up and down the stairs whenever I can. I feel so much better about myself by doing this, so you should give this a try and see if it works for you.
Let go of what you can’t control
- A concept I still have not fully understood nor have I fully mastered. I usually stress over the things that I don’t have any control over. That is not good, at all. If you have no control over something, then there is no way that you can fix it. It’s a difficult concept to do, but it definitely will help you when you finally understand this. I sometimes can do this and other times I cannot. Just try your best and don’t worry if you fail because there are going to be more chances where you will do amazing. As long as you try then you did your best and that is good enough.
Go out of your way to make someone’s day
- Making someone’s day better by giving little compliments or giving money to someone in need, I learned helps you feel great about yourself. I try and help others and make people smile as much as I can because that makes me smile. Of course, you should not sacrifice your happiness for others, but if you are like me you will do that sometimes. Give out compliments to people or do something that will make them smile. Make people remember you in a good way, and I can promise you that you will be so much more stress free. By being rude to people, it only hurts yourself. It makes you feel guilty and no one wants to feel that way. Be nice. Spread kindness, not hate. Kill em with kindness.
Offer and accept help
- This is something that I need to learn to do more of. When I need help, I never ask for help. I am afraid that asking for help makes one look vulnerable and I hate that feeling. But by asking for help, it doesn’t make anyone look vulnerable. In fact, it makes them look stronger. It is a big part of life, so if you need help don’t be afraid or timid to ask someone. Also, don’t be afraid to offer help to someone. Helping people helps with stress a lot; I learned that it actually makes you feel better to help people.
Do one thing at a time
- When you try and do multiple things at once then you will become very overwhelm. Sometimes you can’t multitask and that is completely okay. You might think that doing all these things at once will get all the things that need to get done faster, but in fact it just makes you very stressed and will most likely take you longer to do everything. Just take things one thing at a time, one chore at a time and you will be happier by doing that. Don’t try and do more than you can handle because you will stress and freak out.
Learn more about something that amazes you
- When you have a lot of things to do then start with a couple of the boring ones then do one that excites you. When you learn about something that amazes you and that you are interested in then it really doesn’t feel like learning. That’s why in college you should pick a major that you love learning about and that you will enjoy to do as a career. It doesn’t feel like work. It’s like a little break for your mind, but also, you get your work done.
Surround yourself with reminders of what you love
- I sometimes leave little post-notes around for me to find that will make me happy and smile. You can write anything on them that you love and that will just make you feel better. Just leave little notes for yourself. Love yourself. It will make you feel stress free.
Write it down
- Make a list of all the things that you need to get done that day. When you finish something then check it off. By doing this, you are organized and you don’t stress about thinking you forgot something. I always do this and it makes me feel much better about myself. I know what needs done and I know that I haven’t forgotten anything important. Also, keeping a planner to write down everything once you get your syllabi then you will know when the tests are and what you are learning that week. That prevents you from forgetting if you lose your syllabi.
Dance it out
- Throw a dance party. Invite friends or just dance alone. Put on your favorite dance music and just have fun. You will feel so much less stress and you can get back to work afterwards. Dancing makes you feel so carefree and it’s an amazing feeling to feel. It’s good to just dance out everything bad you are feeling.
Make time for fun!
- Don’t be all work, all day. Add some fun to it! Listen to music. Take a break and do something fun. Go out for coffee with friend, or something along those lines. By taking no breaks and not having fun then you will get very overwhelmed. You need to pace yourself because in the end, you will get so much more work done and faster.
- Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. Take your time. Pace yourself. Everything is going to be alright. Just breathe.